Chowder

Pero, ¿eso no es muy parecido al famoso número de Chowder? para mi conceptualmente es casi igual.

En este modelo se espapa decir que está convencido que la inflación subirá, sino no se entiende que solo haya 8% de tecnología y 20% de industriales.

2 Me gusta

Si, esta tomando los CAGR pasados, la gran pregunta es si esos crecimientos del dividendo se van a dar en la próxima década claro.

Que haya poca tecnología imagino que tiene que ver con que los yields en tech son bastante bajos ahora mismo, así que se salen demasiado de lo que es el modelo, no parece que haya ninguno ni siquiera en el entorno del 3%.

3 Me gusta

Los objetivos. Muy bueno este texto de Chowder, me parece de lo mejor que ha escrito últimamente. Todos los comentarios al texto en DGR Chit Chat muy buenos también:

Some weekend thoughts …In my opinion the S&P 500 is no longer a good benchmark for Dividend Growth Portfolios because it is so heavily concentrated in some of the biggest technology names. If one is trying to continuously beat the market, then that might lead them to have too much of a reliance on technology. If that’s your goal, then that’s your goal and I have no intention of trying to dissuade one from achieving their personal goals. Dividend growth investing is really a strategy for builders and savers, for people who want to build a portfolio that will generate enough income for them to retire on comfortably, others prefer as much income as they can generate. My interpretation was that the dividend growth strategy wasn’t about beating benchmarks but buying and building quality dividend paying companies using a dollar cost averaging approach. Others may differ and that’s fine by me.
However …I am of the opinion that the only benchmark I think is important is the personal goals that I set for myself. Those goals may vary from person to person depending on many factors including age and life situations. I know that in the Young Folk Portfolio which was established almost 12 years ago here on SA, the goal was to create a portfolio that was $3M in value and generate $120K per year in annual income. In order to meet those objectives, the market value only had to grow at an 8.25% CAGR. The goal wasn’t to beat the market, the goal was to generate an 8.25% annualized growth rate. As to the income, the portfolio had to generate a little over a 13% CAGR. After 11 years both of those goals have been exceeded. Those are the goals that matter to me, not what the S&P 500 is doing because regardless of what the market is doing, my goals must still be achieved. I can’t take satisfaction in saying my performance isn’t as bad as the market when in a correction, the goals must still be met and the goals are based on positive results, not negative. The Old Folk Portfolio had different goals. The initial goal was to achieve $100K in annual income. Once that was achieved the goals adjusted to creating a margin of income safety. The income goal more than doubled and now once again, the goal is to continue growing the income flow but to do so at the same time of trying to create more organic dividend growth now that the portfolio is in the withdrawal phase.For those of you who would like to have a more balanced portfolio between a higher yield plus double digit organic dividend growth, I have set up a model portfolio to show what type of assets are required to do this. The portfolio has a yield above 3% and a dividend growth rate above 10% and does this without the use of CEF’s or BDC’s. That model portfolio can be seen here:seekingalpha.com/…The point I am trying to make is that with the new year coming up, don’t allow others to tell you how you should invest. Decide now what is important to you, what is it you want your portfolio to do in 2022. Once you know what that is, then purchase the assets that support that objective. If that objective requires you to raise your risk level, then learn how to manage that risk so that you can achieve “your” objective. If you don’t know how to manage a higher level of risk, ask those who know or are doing it now.You should know specifically what it is you want to do, so do it. It’s on you, not me or any of the others that comment here.Set a goal, follow the plan to success … git some.

7 Me gusta

Sin restarle merito a lo que escribe … cuando leo esto

Yo entiendo esto

In my opinion the S&P 500 is no longer a good benchmark for Dividend Growth Portfolios because we can’t beat it

Quiero decir, todo lo que cuenta esta bien, pero la estrategia DGI siempre fue por esto:

Y lo que habia funcionado desde 1972 resulta que cuando nos ponemos con ello deja de funcionar.

Y ojo que yo soy el primero en ver los dividendos entrando cada mes y no les hago ascos pero que el DGI ya no es una estrategia superior a indexarse es un hecho ahora mismo (quiza tambien lo fue en el año 2000). ¿Que pasara en el futuro? Lo sabremos en unos años

9 Me gusta

"Most businesses have overcome various pressures to deliver record profits thanks to
today’s exceptional demand environment.

Under the current ‘condition of the market’ it’s going to be harder and harder to find assets that are undervalued. Under these same market conditions, many of the companies we own or wish to own are going to have fair number values rise, not fall, unless supply chain issues, labor shortages and inflation start to take a serious increase and cause us to have a significant correction.

If one believes the market can absorb these short term headwinds, and so far it has, then one may have to be willing to pay some sort of a premium to fair value in order to continue building their portfolio.

Some of you are already set, you can do nothing and everything is just fine, but many people who read this blog need to continue building and adding.

In the older folk portfolios I manage I continue to focus on income, in the younger folk portfolios I am spreading the investment dollars over many growth type assets as opposed to putting any available cash into one or two assets at a time. When I say buy small, add small for the accumulators, that’s exactly what I mean, a version of dollar cost averaging while having most assets on dividend reinvestment."

4 Me gusta

Creo que @Chowder te sigue.

"Keep in mind the Dividend Growth Model was NOT designed to beat the market, it was designed to be an excellent example of a true dividend growth portfolio, one that generates better than a 3% yield and generate more than 10% organic dividend growth.

If that portfolio beats the market, it’s a by-product of its success, but not designed to do so."

8 Me gusta

Hasta Chowder esta cansado del debate batir al mercado o no :joy:

1 me gusta

"Portfolio Management:

I’m looking at and referring to the Young Folk Portfolio in this comment. The objective for this portfolio is Income & Growth so I suppose one of any age might have an interest.

I have a portfolio market value objective and an income cash flow objective for this portfolio every year and I know where it needs to be at the end of every year over the next 30 years.

These objectives were established at the end of 2009. Starting portfolio value $42K.

Portfolio Value Goal: $3M
Portfolio Annual Dividend Goal: $120K

At the end of 2021, in order to be on schedule, the portfolio value needed to $235,536.37. – The current portfolio value as of today is $333,962.82. – So it is ahead of schedule.

At the end of 2021 the annual dividend total needed to be $3,226.73. – The dividends for November and December aren’t in yet but Simply Safe Dividends has the forward 12 month dividend cash flow at $7,815. – Again, well ahead of schedule.

Since the portfolio is ahead of schedule, it does allow me to make adjustments as I see fit and what I plan on doing in 2022 is to look at the long held positions and see how their total performance stands against producing a respectable rate of return.

In looking at the holdings I notice that long held DUK, O and MKC have been some of our worst performing companies. These companies, due to the length of time they have been held, and through periodic buying and reinvesting of dividends, have grown to being overweight positions. I do not want under-performing companies to be overweight. I prefer for outperforming companies to be overweight.

SOLUTION:

TSLA and NVDA have been great performers in the time I have held them. I have built them up to oversized positions and will continue adding as long they continue their outperformance pace.

I have trimmed companies like O, DUK and MKC back to full positions and added to high performing companies like DE, HD and others.

I don’t wish to liquidate companies like O, DUK and MKC, in fact there may come a time when I decide to start adding again, but while they are underperforming, I don’t want oversized positions either.

Not a recommendation for others. – Just some food for thought."

5 Me gusta

También he recortado O y alguna otra cosa. Un poco por la nueva variante, que como se extienda como parece igual el mercado piensa que el fin de esto no está tan cerca y que la amenaza de ciertas restricciones puede alargarse mucho.

A history lesson for the uniformed critics.Back at the end of 2009 we were coming off the Lost Decade and the Great Recession. People want to talk about the last 10 years but let’s talk about the previous 10 years when I was putting the YFP together.
Companies like KO, PG, GIS , KMB, CL, SO, JNJ, D, GPC, and VZ had all outperformed the market from 1/4/1999 - 12/31/2009 and offered very good yields and dividend growth numbers.
The S&P actually finished in the red by the end of those 10 years.The following portfolio does NOT include reinvested dividends, otherwise the results would favor blue chips even more.Results:$10K equally weighted with the companies listed above generated a balance of $13,791 to SPY at $9,037. – A 52.6% better performance. Hello???
CAGR for the equities: +2.97%
For SPY: -0.92%
Max drawdown:Equities: 28.86% (Bad)
SPY: 52.20% (Mind Blowing)
401K’s became 201K’s.www.portfoliovisualizer.com/…
In real time, not back testing time, those companies that most people don’t want to own today were companies many wanted to own back then given the condition of the market at that time. People were shaken up psychologically due to poor performance for a decade.
At that time going conservative was good enough to have market beating returns, something that today’s critics want to pass over and ignore.
As market conditions changed during the past 10 years, my holdings have adjusted as well. There is a lot less old blue chip companies and a lot more growth type companies, but to sit here using hindsight and criticize decisions made 10 years ago, decisions that made sense at the time, then people are just looking to criticize, not learn.
If any of the critics were to ask me would I set up a portfolio differently today for a young person, market conditions would cause me to respond Ale Yeah I would! What we know today wasn’t known 10 years ago.

4 Me gusta

buenas noches,
tengo que comentar que me cuesta, la quiero seguir pero no la sigo. Según chowder, hay que ir construyendo la cartera aportando a todos los componentes por escalones. Voy a la lista CQSS y no me aparece ninguna acción del listado que tengo de la cartera que quiero construir a precio.
Esta estrategia me parece muy bien en un entorno de tendencia alcista, compres como compres va a seguir subiendo.
Él dice que por comprar una acción no se va a notar. Eso dependerá de tu capacidad de ahorro para invertir…
Si alguien lo sigue y compra mensualmente aquellas acciones que se quedan rezagadas en la cartera, por escalones, como plantea él, ¿cómo le va?.
Entiendo que es como hacer un dollar cost averaging,pero…
Un saludo

2 Me gusta

Así voy yo construyendo cartera.
Chowder no habla de entrar a lo grande en una acción ( a menos tengas fe ciega), sino construir una posición poco a poco, con compras a lo largo del tiempo. En realidad, eso hacemos todos.
Creo que tu duda es respecto a cuando tienes una acción con importante revalorización y te da cosa comprar más porque ahora la ves cara. Aquí tienes dos teorías:

1. los value, que piensan un día caerá y que el precio es una variable muy importante al contar los rendimientos futuros (Tim McAleenan por ej.)
  2. @Chowder. Según él, una acción que va bien, aumenta dividendo y dice que espera mejores perspectivas futuras, es para comprar pese a que esté cara. Tener un +300% en una posición pequeña nunca te servirá si te quedas esperando un día vuelva a precio aceptable.
    Suele poner ejemplos tipo "imagina puedes comprar MSFT a 200$, seguro muchos se apuntan. Pues es lo que consigues si tienes un precio medio de 150$ y compras ahora. El precio medio sube, pero seguirías en ganancias, con posición mayor.

Me resulta difícil explicarlo por escrito.
De todas formas, veo que ya le has preguntado alguna vez en “Silicon Investor”. Responde casi siempre a dudas, así que aprovecha.

PD.- Yo compro y no va mal. Siempre puedes comerte unas MMM a 250$, pero en MSFT, UNH, HD, JNJ, PEP, PG entre otras, me ha funcionado.

9 Me gusta

gracias por responder,
mi duda viene en otro sentido.
Es verdad que si haces compras pequeñas, pagar un poco más no te va a afectar mucho. Si tienes una acción X que quieres comprar a 100$ y cotiza a 110$, 10$ no supondrán un gran desembolso a largo plazo.
El problema radica, como ya dije, en si la compra no es de 100$ al mes, sino de 1500$ (por poner una cifra, aqui puedes poner la que quieras). Entonces tienes dos opciones; comprar 13 acciones de la acción X pues no te da para comprar 15 (te habrá costado 130$ más de lo que consideras precio de compra- ya no es tan poco) o comprar una acción de 13 empresas distintas, que suponiendo que esten igual de sobrevaloradas supondrá también ese desembolso extra.
En otras palabras, pagar un 10-15% extra del precio que se considera ajustado, en la compra de una acción, en terminos absolutos (10$) no es mucho, pero ese extra en términos absolutos cuando la compra es más grande, duele… Aunque posiblemente sea la única manera de entrar en determinadas compañías. Es la diferencia entre hablar en terminos absolutos o de %.
¿me explico ahora?
Gracias por responder, es que tengo en la cartera varias posiciones que no puedo formar porque nunca se ponen en precio, y lo único que puedo hacer es con el paso de los años ir subiendo el precio de entrada … (y nunca entrar).
un saludo

PD: soy de los que compró msft a 41.35$ y no he podido volver a entrar (jejejeje).

2 Me gusta

La mayoría de mis valores, fueron comprados de una sola vez.

Y cuándo añado a un valor no es porque desde un principio quisiera tener x% o x€ en ese valor, si no que porque en el momento de tener el dinero disponible, consideré que donde mejor iba a rendir sería ese valor concreto.

Tener estipulado una cantidad concreta para invertir en un valor concreto a un precio concreto, a mí, me haría no dormir tranquilo.

Tengo pasta, ¿dónde creo que puedes rendir más?, pués ahí se va la pasta y a dormir tranquilo.

10 Me gusta

Corrijo. En realidad eso hacemos todos, excepto @ifrobertocarlos :rofl:

Supongo es el modus que quedó de Dinero15/OCU inversiones, donde ibas vendiendo-comprando con sus recomendaciones y cada vez mayores las cantidades según crecía tu patrimonio.

La primera parte de la respuesta, la entiendo, pero este trozo no.
El valor concreto, lo elijo porque es la empresa X que creo me falta en la cartera para estar más completa/robusta.
La cantidad concreta es lo que cada uno considere es una posición completa de cartera, pero no hay valor concreto. Voy comprando a lo largo del tiempo, nunca entro a lo grande.

Muy importante.
Hacer cada uno lo que le permita conciliar el sueño.
Eso, y la planificación fiscal :+1:t3:

1 me gusta

Bueni, ahí también hay una opción intermedia que es dividirlo entre las cuatro acciones que tengas más rezagadas.

También podríamos decir, si estás tan seguro que las cuatro están sobrevaloradas y van a bajar hay dos opciones: O no son de tanta calidad como creías, o deberías ponerte corto, acertar 4 de 4 me parece todo un logro digno de aprovechar.

1 me gusta

Exacto. Mis compras cada vez eran más grandes. Aún recuerdo cuando tenía en Vodafone más dinero metido que lo que me costará el piso. A todo te acabas acostumbrando. Creo que se llama la ventana de no se quién pero con el :moneybag:

Lo decía por los que dicen, “me falta medía posición de x valor, pero quiero comprarla a x€”.

El mundo inversor es muy grande, ¿no es más práctico pensar en comprar lo que creas que está barato? En vez de añorar lo buena que estaba cuando era joven, joder, me saltó la línea argumental.

Igual es mala interpretación mía, pero me parece que sufren. Otra cosa que he aprendido es a no mirar la cotización de una empresa que acabo de vender, es otra fuente de sufrimiento innecesario.

Ahora se está hablando bastante de ASML (la única empresa que fabrica las máquinas que fabrican chips). La compré en el 2.003 a 6,73€, la vendí ganándole más del doble. De que me vale ver qué ahora cotiza a 800$, pues eso, para sufrir y dormir mal.

Casi prefiero pensar en la vecina del 5° que en ASML.

2 Me gusta

Habrias batido a todos los indices solo conservandola
:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Pues depende de ti.
Puedes hacer “pinaneo” mensual de todas ellas y al final has comprado 12 de cada una.
O puedes dedicar cada mes a una decidiendo cuál según al estrategia o qué precio tengan en el momento que toque comprar.
Yo, dedico el dinero a una empresa (sería 13 acciones de X), y el mes siguiente, la misma u otra.

Chowder te lo deja claro: si compras ahora, el precio medio se te va a 80$. Muchos matarían por poder entrar ahora a ese precio…
Lo que más recuerdo es que un 2000% de nada es… nada.

6 Me gusta

Yo también. Por ejemplo, de mis cinco primeras posiciones 3 fueron compradas de una vez cada una, otra en dos ocasiones y la que falta es Iberdrola a la que se añaden acciones poco a poco en cada scrip.