Iron Mountain (IRM)

Yo es que no acabo de ver como quieren quitarse deuda de encima, si los resultados son planos, siguen aumentando el dividendo aunque sea de manera testimonial y con el resto del dinero no les da para los gastos de inversión en los Data Centers y las oportunidades growth que mencionan…y tienen que pedir más dinero, y mientras no consigan mejor calificación crediticia las condiciones no van a ser tan buenas. Al final es un bucle todo.

Y han anunciado el Project Summit este, que básicamente es que van a intentar reducir costes.

Esta empieza a hacer la goma. Dividends still don’t lie. Habrá que estar pendientes y si consiguen darle la vuelta.

2 Me gusta

A mi lo que más me mosquea es que suben ventas un 3% en almacenaje y pierden un 3% en servicios. Una pregunta, ¿el almacenaje virtual es servicio o almacenaje?

Ha confirmado pago Enero, 0.6185 $, +1.2% Q/Q, +1.2% Y/Y.

Un saludo.

9 Me gusta

Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Results (13/02/2020)

• Total reported Revenues for the fourth quarter were $1.08 billion, compared with $1.06 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange (FX), reported total Revenues grew 2.7% compared to the prior year, reflecting the benefits from revenue management and steady organic global volume trends. For full-year 2019, total reported Revenues were $4.26 billion, compared with $4.23 billion in 2018, an increase of 3.0% excluding the impact of FX.
  • Income from Continuing Operations for the fourth quarter was $37.1 million, compared with $158.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2018. Income from Continuing Operations in both Q4 and full-year 2019 included Restructuring Charges of $48.6 million associated with the implementation of the Company’s transformation program - Project Summit - designed to accelerate execution of Iron Mountain’s strategy. In addition, Income from Continuing Operations included $4.7 million of Significant Acquisition Costs in the fourth quarter of 2019, compared with $12.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2018. For full-year 2019, Income from Continuing Operations was $268.2 million, compared with $367.6 million in 2018, with Significant Acquisition Costs of $13.3 million in 2019 and $50.7 million in 2018.
  • Adjusted EBITDA for the fourth quarter was $386.5 million, compared with $359.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2018. On a constant currency basis, Adjusted EBITDA increased by 8.4%, driven in part by the flow through from revenue management and lower overhead costs. For full-year 2019, Adjusted EBITDA was $1.44 billion, compared with $1.42 billion in 2018, an increase of 2.7% excluding the impact of FX. Lower recycled paper prices impacted Adjusted EBITDA by approximately $28 million in 2019, which resulted in a drag of 2.0%.
  • Reported EPS - Fully Diluted from Continuing Operations for the fourth quarter was $0.13, compared with $0.55 in the fourth quarter of 2018. For full-year 2019, Reported EPS - Fully Diluted from Continuing Operations was $0.93 compared with $1.28 in 2018.
  • Adjusted EPS for the fourth quarter was $0.31, compared with $0.25 in the fourth quarter of 2018, or growth of 24.0%. For full-year 2019, Adjusted EPS was $1.02, compared with $1.07 in 2018. Adjusted EPS reflects a structural tax rate of 18.2% in both 2019 and 2018.
  • Net Income for the fourth quarter was $37.1 million compared with $158.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2018. For full-year 2019, Net Income was $268.3 million compared with $355.1 million in 2018. Net Income in the fourth quarter and full-year 2019 was negatively impacted by Restructuring Charges related to Project Summit as well as Foreign Currency Transaction Losses.
  • FFO (Normalized) per share was $0.65 for the fourth quarter, compared with $0.56 in the fourth quarter of 2018, or an increase of 16.1%. For full-year 2019, FFO (Normalized) per share was $2.29, compared with $2.26 in 2018.
  • AFFO was $228.0 million for the fourth quarter compared with $193.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2018, an increase of 17.7%. For full-year 2019, AFFO decreased 0.7% to $856.3 million, compared with $862.6 million in 2018.
2 Me gusta

Interesante análisis de esta empresa centrándose en su vertiente de data center

6 Me gusta

Pensando en entrar… Como especulativo… Antes de los resultados del primer Q.
Lo digo por este artículo y por cómo viene subiendo la gráfica desde que salió y lo bajo que está ahora.

Que opináis?

1 me gusta

No lo se, a mi me gusta, antes de esta crisis era un REIT muy tranquilo, de los mas estables.

Y lo tengo en cartera con una ponderacion aceptable, pero en esta situacion nunca se sabe como puede reaccionar una empresa.

Esta en pleno proceso de transformación a convertirse en un REIT para centro de datos etc. Para ello se ha endeudado y tiene en marcha un plan de reducción de costes. Puede que no este en el momento más tranquilo de su historia pero yo estoy dentro y seguiré estando. SDD acaba de cambiar la seguridad del dividendo a 40.

Pandemic Increases Pressure on Iron Mountain’s Dividend

May 4, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic creates several challenges for Iron Mountain (IRM). The business seems likely to remain a cash cow and has reasonable liquidity, but these emerging issues have potential to reduce the REIT’s financial flexibility.

This could be problematic given Iron Mountain’s ongoing investments to evolve its business model for the digital world, plus the firm’s already elevated leverage profile.

The dividend is central to Iron Mountain’s investment case. But depending on the severity and duration of COVID-19 headwinds that impact the business, it’s not out of the question that management could reduce the dividend to protect the firm’s balance sheet as it continues investing in its future.

Based on our analysis below, we are downgrading Iron Mountain’s Dividend Safety Score from Borderline Safe to Unsafe .

Iron Mountain reports earnings on May 7. It would be surprising if management adjusted the dividend at this stage, but it’s not out of the question.

Iron Mountain’s services segment faces the most immediate pressure. This business generated 37% of the company’s revenue last year but only 19% of gross profit since it carries lower margins than document storage.

Source: Iron Mountain Q419 Earnings Supplement

About half of the service segment’s revenue (17% of IRM’s total revenue) is generated from Records Management. This includes adding or removing records from storage, and pickup and delivery of records upon customer request.

With many offices temporarily closed, demand for record management has likely plunged. On Iron Mountain’s website, the company has significantly reduced the frequency of its retrievals and pick-ups, too.

Source: Iron Mountain

Iron Mountain also provides digital solutions (5% of total revenue) and data management (4%). This includes scanning, imaging, and document conversion services of records, computer backups, and various other projects.

In its annual report, Iron Mountain notes that the more discretionary and event-driven nature of these services makes their revenue streams more sensitive to economic downturns.

With many parts of the economy closing, it wouldn’t be surprising if more customers than usual defer or cancel these types of services in order to reduce their short-term costs.

The same could be true with document shredding services (10% of IRM’s total revenue) since closed offices produce fewer documents that need to be shredded.

It’s also usually cheaper to leave records in storage a while longer rather than pay a higher fee to have them destroyed immediately.

Estimating how far services revenue could fall is difficult, but it doesn’t take much to put Iron Mountain in an increasingly uncomfortable financial position.

The company’s debt has covenants that restrict or limit its ability to incur additional indebtedness and pay dividends, among other things.

At the end of 2019, Iron Mountain’s lease adjusted leverage ratio was 5.7x, below the maximum allowable amount of 6.5x in the covenants. Management expected leverage to be flat or down slightly this year.

Source: Iron Mountain 2019 10-K

Revenue may not need to dip by much to pressure Iron Mountain’s headroom with its covenants.

That’s because the company’s cash flow is especially sensitive to changes in sales since many of its costs related to records are fixed.

For example, facilities (most are leased), transportation (truck fleet), and general and administration expenses exceeded 30% of revenue in 2019.

All else equal, we estimate that leverage rises about 0.25x for every 5% drop in EBITDA, which could happen with just a low single-digit revenue decline.

It’s unlikely Iron Mountain would breach its leverage ratio covenant thanks to continued stability in its record storage business, but management wants leverage to head much lower to provide the firm with more flexibility.

“Over time, we would like to get leverage between 4.5x and 5.5x. And ideally, that means that, over time, that target to get it below 5x … We’re at 5.7x or so right now versus 6.5x for our covenants. We would like to have 1.5x to 2x turns where our covenants kick in versus where our leverage is, purely for opportunistic reasons [such as share repurchases].” – CEO Bill Meaney

Iron Mountain realizes its paper storage business won’t last forever and relies on issuing debt to fund growth projects in other markets such as data centers.

Unlike other businesses that deleverage by paying down debt, Iron Mountain is borrowing more with hopes of improving its leverage ratio as EBITDA grows. This strategy has higher risk.

Prior to COVID-19, the midpoint of management’s 2020 guidance called for $945 million in adjusted funds from operations (AFFO).

After paying dividends of around $710 million (a 75% payout ratio), Iron Mountain would have approximately $235 million of retained cash flow available to reinvest in the business.

However, management had targeted upwards of $730 million in spending, including:

• $225 million for acquisitions
  • $200 million for data center development projects
  • $130 million for its Project Summit cost savings plan
  • $150 million to $175 million for real estate growth investments

Selling non-core assets (i.e. capital recycling) was expected to generate $100 million of proceeds, but Iron Mountain would still need to borrow around $400 million to cover its investment plans (assuming they all need to move forward).

Despite its BB- junk credit rating from S&P, the firm’s balance sheet could handle this load without breaching its covenant.

Based on management’s 2020 EBITDA guidance, we estimate that Iron Mountain’s debt could increase around $2 billion before hitting 6.5x leverage.

Iron Mountain’s liquidity is also sufficient, with $194 million in cash on hand and $1.4 billion of available borrowing capacity under its credit revolver, which expires in June 2023. Less than $400 million of debt matures in 2020, too.

But if EBITDA fell 5% this year (rather than increasing 7.5% as management expected before the pandemic) and the REIT borrowed $500 million to execute its investment plans, then leverage could rise to around 6.2x.

The bottom line is that Iron Mountain’s ability to maintain its dividend and fund its investments hinges on the stability of its cash flow and management’s tolerance to continue running the business with elevated leverage, at least in the short term.

The coronavirus creates uncertainty on both of those fronts. Besides reducing services revenue, the pandemic has potential to accelerate the secular shift away from paper media as more businesses have been forced to conduct their operations digitally since March.

For example, in the healthcare vertical (16% of IRM’s revenue), telemedicine and virtual care could be here to stay. Financial (12%) and legal (8%) industries have already been transitioning more of their work to digital mediums, and energy (3%) companies are reeling from the crash in oil prices.

Source: Iron Mountain Q419 Earnings Supplement

An acceleration in these trends could pressure Iron Mountain’s high-margin storage business by reducing the amount of new boxes it receives from existing clients.

Here’s an example management provided at a recent conference regarding how the legal vertical’s digital transformation has impacted its business:

To provide further context, let’s say, a legal customer stores 100 boxes with us. 10 years ago, they would send us 6 new boxes a year and destroy or remove 2 boxes, so they would be net positive 4 boxes, or a 4% growth rate.

Today, a similar customer would send us 2 to 3 new boxes and still destroy 1 or 2 boxes, making them flat to net positive 1% growth rate, which is the new normal for this customer vertical, remaining stable at this lower growth rate given the age profile of their inventory has stabilized.

Iron Mountain’s organic records management volumes declined 0.1% in 2019. If volumes were to remain negative this year, investors may begin to lose faith in the durability of this critical source of cash flow.

And management could feel compelled to act with greater urgency on the balance sheet and the company’s investments. Iron Mountain’s data center business gets the most attention from investors, but this transition is happening gradually.

Management has said that data centers will hopefully get “into the high teens” as a percentage of Iron Mountain’s EBITDA in around five to seven years. That’s a long time to wait, even if these projects are a success.

In the meantime, management is pulling other levers to improve Iron Mountain’s financial positioning, including a major headcount reduction as part of its Project Summit restructuring plan. This alone is expected to add $200 million to EBITDA (about a 14% lift versus 2019) by the end of 2022.

Overall, it’s hard to gain conviction in Iron Mountain’s long-term outlook. The coronavirus could accelerate some of the secular headwinds facing the business and test Iron Mountain’s ability to grow its way back to a healthier balance sheet.

Management doesn’t have to cut the dividend, but they may choose to in this uncertain environment given desires to deleverage, lower the payout ratio, and maintain a full slate of investments to support Iron Mountain’s future.

As we stated in our July 2019 note, until Iron Mountain’s leverage and investment needs reach safer levels, conservative income investors may want to look elsewhere for yield. We will continue monitoring the situation.

7 Me gusta

Muchas gracias por la INFO. Abriré pequeña posición para seguirla más de cerca. Gracias a ambos.

Dividendo de julio in line with previous

5 Me gusta

7 Me gusta

Cuando crees que te van a recortar un dividendo pero al final no

3 Me gusta

Realmente los resultados son muy buenos, no ya en estos tiempos, parecen buenos incluso para un q1 2020 sin coronavirus:

No obstante hay una cosa que me descuadra un poco. Incrementan el FCF (AFFO) en un 19.6%, pero luego vas al balance y las deudas totales aumentas:

Total Liabilities: 31/3/2020: $12,442,495 vs. 31/1/2019:$12,352,589.

Espero que todo ese efectivo haya ido a los proyectos de data centers.

2 Me gusta

parece que el golpe puede venir en el 2º trimestre.

parece que la reducción de costes va por buen camino

6 Me gusta

Parece que los resultados gustan. Abre subiendo un 15%

3 Me gusta
5 Me gusta

Parece que los resultados son razonablemente buenos, al menos estables que para los tiempos que corren no está mal. Parece que puedan seguir pagando el dividendo que pagan.

5 Me gusta

Resultados muy estables, mantienen dividendo. Parece que los papeles no cogen el bicho.

11 Me gusta

en teoria tocaba aumento del dividendo trimestral, este es el quinto dividendo con el mismo importe.

Veamos como evoluciona en el 2020.

3 Me gusta

1 me gusta